Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 2011 prayer letter

"A Song of degrees of David.

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD." Psalm 122:1


Our praying friends and family in the Lord,

What a privilege it is to be able to attend 'God's House'! There is nothing like it on earth, when fellow believers come together, in one mind and one accord, for the express purpose of worshipping God. It's a little slice of 'Heaven on earth'. It reminds us that we're only pilgrims here, and that our pilgrimage won't be long, and that one day we'll arrive at the "house of the LORD", never to depart. These refreshing truths were made all the clearer, as we recently attended our second missionary camp meeting. (Three times a year, all the missionaries cooperating together to reach the Turks here, gather for four or five days of English preaching and singing.) The first camp meeting we attended was soon after our arrival, and having just been in almost two years of services stateside, it felt like any other camp meeting. But now, after having been isolated, for the most part, from regular English speaking interaction outside of the home, this camp meeting was sweet. It makes a difference when you can't afford to have division. No one can afford to come to meeting with a chip on their shoulder, lest they miss a blessing, and have to go another three months without hearing preaching in their mother tongue. I go to meetings all the time here, and while I don't understand the language well enough yet, I'm aware of God's presence, and am able, in measure, to participate in the services through song and prayer. Still, there's an intimacy in hearing the "wonderful works of God" in your own language. That's why, though we live and labor in Bulgaria, and, for the most part, these Bulgarian Turks all speak fluent Bulgarian, it's our desire to learn Turkish, to speak 'their' language.

I began this letter, early on the morning of the 12th. I had been ill, suffering for a couple of days with what I thought was a strain of the flu. Friday morning I awoke early, feeling better than I had, and determined to see my wife to a doctor's appointment. As the day wore on, I began to feel worse and worse. As we were in the area anyway, I stopped by our family physician to see if she couldn't recommend something to take care of this flu. After listening to me breathe, she recommended an x-ray. Upon receipt of that, she informed me I had pneumonia. I was told only the hospital could administer medication strong enough to help me, and that I was to report immediately there. I knew I wasn't well, I just didn't know how ill I was. They admitted me that night with a 103.5 degree fever, and told me I would remain there a mandatory 7 days. The hospital was exceptional by Bulgarian standards, and all the staff I encountered were friendly and as helpful as they could be regardless of the language barrier. Because of my inability to communicate, I was at their mercy as to what they prescribed me and why, and could only pray that the Lord would help me. My wife asked me, before being admitted, if I was nervous. I told her I felt too bad to be nervous. But, looking back, I wasn't nervous at all. In fact, all I could do was resign myself to God's will, trusting that he had me there for his purpose. And, in spite of my physical discomfort, I enjoyed a week of fellowship with the Lord: reading and praying and enjoying His company. I am now home, and on a high powered antibiotic for a few more days. I feel a tad weak in body, but refreshed in the Lord. Please keep me in your prayers, that the Lord would grant a full recovery, and that I would soon feel myself again. Also, please keep us in your prayers, as our residency visas will soon come due. We are presently here on a 6 month visa, awaiting our residency visas. We have other prayer requests, and the Lord knows them all. Help me believe God for the needs of this work, and ours as well. God bless you all.


Because of a living Saviour,

The William LeFevre Family

No comments:

Post a Comment